MUSEUM HISTORY

Seven women had a dream in 1972—a dream to transform the burned out shell of the former St. Cyprian’s Episcopal Church into an arts and historical center for the children and families of East Texas. Since its inception in 1976, the Museum of East Texas has grown to become a dynamic cultural center. Originally in a historic 1906 church, the Museum contains an extensive collection of paintings and sculptures produced by East Texas artists as well as American, Latin American and European masters.

The Museum offers a variety of public programs throughout the year and its commitment to visual arts education and cultural enrichment is the driving force behind all of its programs. Exhibitions, lectures, workshops, children’s events and fundraisers cover a wide range of interests and topics and are sure to appeal to everyone.